- Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system attacks the insulin producing beta cells in the pancreas.
- Type 1 diabetics will NEVER be able to produce insulin again.
- There is no known cause/cure for this disease.
- Diet/exercise WILL NOT cure this disease.
- Type 1 diabetics have to take AT LEAST 4 injections daily, if not on pump therapy.
- Type 1 diabetics have to check their blood sugar 8-10 times a day AT MINIMUM. <Times to check: when they wake up in the morning, before breakfast, 2 hrs after breakfast, before lunch, 2 hrs after lunch, before dinner, 2 hrs after dinner and at bedtime. This doesn't include if they feel low or high, if they have extra activities going on, if they are having any snacks, during the night checks or checks for any other reason.>
- With Type 1 the diabetics carbohydrate intake must be counted correctly in order to accurately calculate insulin dosage.